“A gentleman…keeps a blade by his side.” Admit it. You’re smiling, if not outwardly, then inwardly. You’ve already taken out your mental pad and paper and are scrolling down to the bottom of your list of “Reasons to Always Carry a Knife.” This one goes on the list. After all, it was a military strategist who made this statement, and you never know when it’ll be TEOTWAWKI and you’ll need your survival knife. Most of all, you want to be a gentleman (or ladies, you want to be as prepared and gentle-lady-ish as possible–and of course that includes a knife).
Why Else Should You Carry a Knife
Why else should you carry a knife? After a brief traipse through the beloved world wide web, I’ve collected a list of 20 reasons your knife-loving peers find to carry a knife.
- “In case I need to cut stuff.” -mrlysle; edcforums
- “I’d rather have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.” -Wolf427; edcforums
- “[B]ecause not everything comes with zippers.” -Kilted1; edcforums
- “It’s a tool, and a versatile one and I rarely see a day when I don’t use it at least once.” -Urban Hermit;edcforums
- “Paid too much for them not to carry them…” -vegassprky; edcforums
- “Because once a boy scout[,] always a boyscout[,] and our motto is Be Prepared” -Soup Dragon;edcforums
- Rambo had one, as did Crocodile Dundee.
- For protection/self-defense
- As a paper weight
- For decoration
- To measure something without a tape measure
- To stir cream into coffee
- For general fashion
- To clean your teeth
- To post an announcement on the wall or a telephone pole
- To scratch your back when your arm just isn’t long enough
- To open a letter
- To mend a broken fence
- You never know when you’re going to have to MacGyver your way out of a crisis.
- It’s a multi-purpose blade that anyone who operates in the outdoors can use, whether they need to cut back brush, slice rope, start a fire, or in a worst-case scenario, provide self-defense from a wild animal or another person.
What about you?
So what about you? Do you have a survival knife strapped to your belt, a pocket knife hiding out in your pants pocket, or a boot knife securely tied into the laces of your shoe? Why do you carry a knife (or is it multiple knives)?
Why carry a knife reference sites: