Vintage Hazing Stuff

Created on at by Turkeyleg

Home Forums The Frat Forum Vintage Hazing Stuff

This topic contains 39 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Total Frat Forum Total Frat Forum 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Thought it might be fun to talk about older hazing techniques that our fathers and grandfathers did back in the days when hazing was accepted as a part of pledging.

Please, when posting on this topic follow these rules:

1. Do not identify the school you attend, the state or town you live in, or anything that could identify you or your fraternity.
    2. Do not identify your Greek Organization.
    3. Do not talk about things that are fantasy or dangerous.
    4. Keep it real.

THIS IS A DISCUSSION OF “HAZING HISTORY” and certainly none of the stunts mentioned here would EVER be done or even considered to be done today, since we do not haze now.

I will start with my favorite as recounted by my Grandfather: The Olive Races. Setup: Two 50 or 100 pound blocks of ice are brought to the hazing area. A small olive is placed in the center of each block. Pledges are divided into teams. The object is for each team member to pick up the olive using only his butt crack and move it to the other end of the hazing area. In the old days this might be a football field or gymnasium or, just the Hazement. The olive must be dropped into a narrow mouthed olive bottle. If the olive is dropped or the bottle missed, the pledge retrieves it with his teeth and places it on the ice block and begins again. The losers are punished by whatever the members deem appropriate. My granddad says his team was required to melt the ice blocks with their butts and not allowed to leave the area until the ice had melted. At least one pledge was required to maintain contact with each block of ice with his butt at all times. Another variation was to punish the winners because they attempted to make their pledge brothers look bad by winning. The whole thing would be cut short and stopped if both teams worked together to melt the ice like a good pledge class would. Of course, the exercise was not stopped until every pledges butt was aching from cold. Care must be taken not to have frostbite happen. Don’t get carried away.

jdub
    jdub
    Participant

My dads fraternity started bombardier. which is where they would make pledges sit under a ladder and all actives would climb the ladder then crack as many eggs as they wish and try to hit them in the mouth. it was a drinking game for the actives if you couldn’t get the egg in the mouth you drank if you got it you could tell someone to drink. this was a long time ago i highly doubt its still done today.

Total Frat Forum
      Total Frat Forum
      Keymaster

Someone in the TFM comments mentioned they had an article titled “In defense of hazing.”
      Might have been The Phi Tour.
      Too politically incorrect for TFM, perhaps. I’ll publish it because TFF IS the ‘Nam.

Buck_Weston
        Buck_Weston
        Participant

“TFF IS the ‘nam”
        I love it. Open up the gates of hell.

Buck_Weston
    Buck_Weston
    Participant

Anyone else know about the elephant walk?

OozmaKappa
    OozmaKappa
    Participant

They still do the elephant walk I think

maroonandgold
    Participant

Elephant walk is mostly dead from what I can gather. It definitely sill happens, but it isn’t as wide spread.

Total Frat Forum
    Total Frat Forum
    Keymaster
      Kilgore
      Kilgore
      Participant

^

Buck_Weston
      Buck_Weston
      Participant

Solid work. Hoyt, I tried giving it a like but it kept giving me a login page despite the fact that I was logged in (i double checked).

Shit deep in ‘Nam,

Bucl

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

This one comes from The United States Military Academy West Point. It is known by various names but The Stork seems to be the best one. The plebe stands at attention. On order to Assume The Stork position he puts the palm of his hand under his chin, cupping it. He then raises his knee up to touch his elbow. He must now stand rigidly in this position until told to stop it. It is quite amusing to see 20 or so guys standing like this struggling to maintain their balance.

Kilgore
      Kilgore
      Participant

Turkey leg are you an academy student?

jdub
    jdub
    Participant

Heres an old one i heard of off the grape vine. Im sure its pretty wide spread but mostly done in the south like texas. You line your pledges up and tell them to enter the room and close the door one by one. When they walk in have a guy heating a branding iron with a blowtorch. Tell them to take off their shirt. tell this is their last chance its either brand or you’re out. Then stick them with a brand that’s been sitting in ice. They freak out yell and scream then show them the ice. then tell the pledge they passed and tell them to act like they just got branded walking out.

Buck_Weston
    Buck_Weston
    Participant

My buddy at a different school had to kick a door with a toothpick between his big toe and the toe nail until it reached the cuticle. He said random shit like that wasn’t uncommon at all.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

That sounds a little wild. Would not recommend trying that.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Variation on wall sits: Coathanger sit. Wire coat hanger is placed with one end against the pledge’s butthole and the other on the floor. He must hold it in place without either allowing it to bend or fall out from between his butt cheeks. Worse if made to hold bricks in outstretched palms. Make pledges compete for longest times. Eventually they will slowly sink to the floor as their muscles give out and the coat hanger will bend. If they stand up, time starts over! Fun to watch them struggle while their legs are trembling.

Another stress position: Make them stand with toes one foot from wall and then stand on high tiptoe holding a penny against the wall with their nose. Give them a set time, such as one hour. If they drop the penny or their heels touch the floor they get a lick with the board and time starts over. Guaranteed to separate the men from the pussies.

Roger_Dorn
    Roger_Dorn
    Participant

OMG! I can’t believe you are talking about hazing!

Singlemalt
      Participant

It’s fantasy hazing, Dorn. Of course nobody really does stuff like this now. It’s all in the past. Perish the thought that anyone would be so CRUEL as to subject pledges to any of the practices mentioned here. Stuff like this could permanently warp their pledge psyches. Any house that hazes should be put on permanent double secret probation and renamed SAE.

GirthBrooks
    GirthBrooks
    Participant

I was going to just post a link to hazedandconfused.com, but apparently it isn’t up anymore.

Singlemalt
    Participant

Hazing was not confined to fraternities, as anybody who ever played high school or college sports knows. Here is an account of initiation into a college letter club by David Kopay, a running back who played with the SF 49ers, Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins, NO Saints and the Green Bay Packers.

From his book, The David Kopay Story:

“They told us to take off our sweaters, take everything out of our pockets. Anybody wearing double shorts or padding would get hit twice as much. Paddles were passed out to the sixty members, those with the most letters having the honor of going first. Each member was allowed one swat for every letter earned.

It got to be incredibly brutal, and it seemed that the ones you knew best were the ones who beat you the hardest. There were some cracks abut this one or that one somebody didn’t like, but generally they kept their remains on a joking level as they were beating us.

The outline of my shorts had been beaten into my skin and I felt like I was on fire as I made my way back to the fraternity house, went upstairs to the head, pulled my pants down and looked in the mirror. My ass was black and blue, covered with blood blisters. It was two full weeks before I could sit down without a painful reminder of the Big W Club initiation.”

Now, if there were 60 members, and each one got one lick for every letter earned, it is easy to see that the initiates probably received over 200 licks.

This happened in the 60’s.

He also mentions some of the things from his fraternity hell week. Having to wear Kotex belts soaked in molasses, the olive races, and wearing burlap bags that rubbed their nipples raw. Also wearing “dingle bells” tied to their dicks and balls and being made to jump up and down to make the bells ring.

This is all from his book.

Turkeyleg
      Turkeyleg
      Participant

WOW! That is tough.

In some places, especially in Texas, it seems, cattle prods were used. There are reports of Hotshots being used at UT Austin, and also in some football hazing. I heard one story out of OK, possibly OSU, where the letter club initiation consisted of being shocked over and over for hours with Hotshots while wearing only tow sacks, doing grape races (grapes in cracks and crawling backwards), and submerging up to the neck in a tub of ice water for 3 minutes.

I had rather take the Hotshot than 200 licks with a board! At least it doesn’t bruise. My buddy’s granddad went to Texas A&M back in the day (1946) and says he would have to stand in the shower to get his shorts unstuck from his butt because it was raw from paddling.

Good or bad, that’s the way things were.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Now that the famous paddling picture has appeared on here, let’s talk about paddling. Paddling has been a tradition in fraternities from the very beginning but seems under fire as the “war against hazing” seems to increase.

So I ask this question: Is paddling still practiced in your fraternity? If so to what extent? Is there a place for paddling today, and how tough should it be? Limited to one swat by a Big Brother or, as in the old days, a member could paddle at any time for any reason.

Let’s have a dialog about paddling!

TL

Total Frat Forum
      Total Frat Forum
      Keymaster

when I was a pledge members could swat multiple times for different reasons: family line, demerits, exec board, etc. When I was a pledgemaster we voluntarily voted to only allow one per member on hell night.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

How many members present at hell night? What would be the most swats a pledge would get at one time?

Total Frat Forum
      Total Frat Forum
      Keymaster

At a smaller private college there were about 25-30 actives and 10 pledges. In the double dipping days I think it was about 75 swats. Under new rule you would only get one swat per active. We also had a strictly enforced rule called “Bottle to Throttle”, which was that an Active could not consume alcohols minimum of 8 hours prior to hell night. This rule applied if the active was going to partake in swatting. If an active drank he could not swat. It’s a safety issue to prevent drinking and paddling.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

That’s still pretty tough on top of all the licks taken during the week. Pledges asses usually look like round steak by Hell Night and were bleeding afterward. But it was all good. Lost count of the number of licks I got but sitting was hard for a week afterward. Still wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

It has been pretty quiet here, so guess it’s time for another story. This one comes from a buddy at a large university where he is a senior.

The game is called The Penny Tour de House. It takes a whole night to complete, and it’s fun for everybody except the pledges. Here’s what happens: The pledges are lined up in the attic or the top floor. Each is given a penny that must be pushed with the nose around the perimeter of each room in the house, starting from top to basement and returning. The perimeter of every room, including bathrooms, closets, bunk rooms, et cetera must be traversed. Time limits can be set, et cetera, to make things more interesting. Things such as condiments, et cetera, can be placed at certain points so that the pledge must push the penny through whatever it is on the floor. Pledges will need bandaids for their noses afterward. With 40 pledges doing this it can get pretty interesting, especially going up and down stairs. Yes, the penny must be pushed around the perimeter of each and every step, around the bases of the toilets, and so forth. It is an exhausting little game, one that will give the pledges many pleasant memories. Knee pads are highly recommended, although it’s OK to only let them put them on after they have finished one floor, et cetera. No reason to be TOO kind to them.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Well, I am continuing to research vintage hazing, and I have found that The West Point Military Academy is a field ripe for the picking.

In “the old days” there, meaning 100 years ago, hazing was not only brutal but what some today would call “gay.” Remember, in those days it was all male, and what went on was between men. There does not seem to be any overt sexual activity but some of the hazing methods involved the genitalia. And, as I have heard from others, this sort of thing has continued up to very recently and may still go on now. I have no personal knowledge, but will recount what I have been told. I’ll leave you to decide whether or not it’s “gay.”

At West Point, a popular hazing technique was to make the Plebe rub turpentine on his balls and then rub the leaves of a plant called “cow itch” on them as well. Now, the “cow itch” plant seems to be Mucuna prurient, which causes intense itching when its leaves contact skin. And turpentine causes extreme burning that lasts for hours and, when put on balls, apparently causes them to feel like they are on fire with an agonizing pain that increases minute by minute and does not go away for a long time. Couple that with the intense itching of cow itch, one can see how bad this was.

It is said that General Douglas MacArthur had this done to him and begged to be gagged so that he would not cry out from the pain and discomfort.

My granddad says that when he was in high school it was common initiation play to put what they called “Analgesic Balm” which now seems to be BenGay or Tiger Balm on the balls. He also says that in our frat, back in 1956, they made them rub Sloan’s Linament on their balls, which resulted in extreme burning that lasted for at least a couple of hours.

Another friend of my Dad’s who pledged back in the 1950s says that his dick and balls and ass crack and pubic hair got painted with rubber cement which was applied with a paint brush by an Active. He then was made to pull up his whitey tights and join the other pledges in the lineup who had already had this done and do deep knee bends and other exercises for an hour. The rubber cement caused extreme burning and caused a couple of pledges to cry, including his pledge brother who was also his roommate. They were made to do wall sits, jumping jacks, pushups, and high-step running in place where you old your arms out in front of you and you have to slap your hands with your knees when they come up, all of this while their cock and balls and ass were on fire. Apparently bows n toes was not discovered back then, but duck walking and stuff like that was.

When they were finally allowed to go back to their dorms they found that their shorts were glued to their pubes, and the only way to get them off was to rip them off and the hair with it. He says that was a night he will never forget.

Do any houses do stuff like this now? Or is this a part of—Vintage Hazing?

Bro.J. Simpson
    Participant

This wasn’t hazing but I have had IcyHot rubbed on my shaft and testicles. It is not fun

Turkeyleg
      Turkeyleg
      Participant

I wonder if anybody is doing that as hazing now. I hear it’s a common locker room trick among college athletes and pro athletes to put it on somebody’s jock.I heard Brett Favre was fond of dong that to teammates just before practice so that they would have to endure the burning all through practice.

Bro.J. Simpson
    Participant

I wouldn’t doubt it TurkeyLeg, because other than the burning it’s harmless.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

The Holidays have yielded some new stories. Here’s one from one of my dad’s friends, told while we were smoking cigars and sipping good Scotch on Christmas night. This is from the era of the 1950s and happened in Texas.

Pledges were stripped necked and put into the Pledge Mansion, which was a closet approximately 6 x 4 feet. There were 15 pledges. They were then each given a cigar, a big, cheap, nasty one, and a lighter. They were also given 8 large jars of peanut butter. They were told that they could come out of the closet when (1) all the peanut butter were consumed and (2) the cigars were made to disappear. This meant that there could be no evidence whatsoever other than smoke that the cigars had ever existed. No butts, no ash, no nothing. Only empty peanut butter jars. Of course, this meant that the ash and butts had to be disposed of in some way, and there were only two ways: to eat them or stick them up their asses.

The pledges were coughing and struggling to breathe as the cigar smoke filled the small space. Some threw up, adding to the stress. They discussed how to dispose of the ash and butts, and they decided it was best to eat them, which they did. When they finally signaled to be let out, they were all different shades of green! The friend said that by smoking the cigar down as much as possible and then burying the butt in a gob of peanut butter it was not too bad. He said eating the ashes wasn’t too bad either. But the peanut butter was hard to get down while smoking a cigar.

After being let out, they were made to assume the position and take licks for taking too long to do this. Pledges can’t win!

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Here’s another story from the boys who pledged back in the 50’s in Texas.

Pledges were stripped necked and made to duck walk around the perimeter of the hazement, which was actually the attic in this house. There were 12 pledges, and they were given 6 pouches of Beechnut leaf tobacco and told to eat all of it while duck walking and to continue duck walking until all the tobacco was eaten. When somebody would stop and be unable to continue because of cramps in his legs, he would be made to stand up and assume the position and take licks until he decided that he could continue. There were bloody asses that night and also lots of vomit but eventually all the Beechnut was eaten. Pledges were then made to clean up the vomit and scrub the floor with toothbrushes.

Things were different in those days!

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Question for the followers: Should this sort of hazing, which was routine 50 years ago, be allowed today? Have we become too soft? Have we decided that this type of experience does not build brotherhood and is to be condemned? Or are we missing something?

When I talk to these gentlemen who experienced these tough hazing episodes, to a man they defend them and say that they would do it all over again. They say it was rough as hell, but they got through it and were proud of it.

One thing that they all say is that in those days there was drinking but it was never forced and that pledges were not ever put in danger. Hurt, yes. Butts bled from paddling, but nobody died.

What do you think? Is hazing dead? Does this kind of hazing still go on? Should it? Is there too much emphasis on drinking these days?

Turk

Total Frat Forum
      Total Frat Forum
      Keymaster

These are great stories. Very good question too.

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

I have been quiet for the last few months hoping that others would contribute to the thread, but only a few have. So I guess I’ll try to kick start by putting in some things I have learned about from my research and talking to old fraternity guys.

But First: We all know that hazing is illegal in most states, and we also know that fraternities are going to do it in spite of the risks because it’s tradition and should be done. We know further that college administrators and nationals are hell bent (can I use the word “Hell”) on killing fraternities that engage in what they consider hazing, which consists of just about anything a fraternity does that involves pledges other then initiating them on bid night.

To that issue I say this: Keep your hazing activities to yourself. Be sure that what happens in the “hazement” stays there. Control all devices capable of taking a picture or recording an activity. Be sure that there are sober pledge trainers present at all activities. Do not let a pledge get injured to the point of needing to go to the ER. Stop paddling before it gets to the point where bruises grow to large hematoma. Butts can still get tore up without creating deep bruises. Do a thorough physical exam of each pledge with your chapter doc, and if you don’t have a chapter doc, get one. Find out if a pledge has a medical condition that could be a problem during hard hazing. Either don’t pledge them or exempt them from activities that could cause problems. Let your pledges know that you are going to haze the shit out of them and see if they are OK with that. If they are pussies, get rid of them. Educate your members to be aware of these issues and don’t allow drunk members to get out of line. Talk to your pledges about keeping secrets, not letting mom see their bruised butt, and not deciding to turn on you in mid-pledgeship. Spot pledges who are wavering and either straighten them out with one-on-one counseling or get rid of them. The true fraternity man will know that hazing is hell on wheels but will seek it because his daddy did and his granddaddy did and he knows that if he can gut it out he will be more of a man than he has ever been. Hell week should be Hell, but don’t injure anybody. Inflict pain and discomfort and nausea and vomiting and extreme fatigue? Hell yeah, but injury, hell no. We can continue to haze and give our pledges the experiences they will cherish if we do it right, but we have to change some of our practices if we are to beat the system that’s arrayed against us.

Turkeyleg

Turkeyleg
    Turkeyleg
    Participant

Well, since nobody else will contribute, I’ll step in and add some tricks that I have heard about from my friends and confidants. I have experienced a couple of these myself, and I can say that they are intensely unpleasant for the pledges, but then, that’s the point, isn’t it? Having lived through them, I am proud. And no, I didn’t stick a cigar butt up my ass. I ate it. I ate the Red Man also. And puked!

Here are some activities involving cigars and tobacco.
    THE CIGAR GIG

Traditional hazing activities involve forcing the pledges to smoke cigars in an atmosphere that makes the pledge inhale a lot of cigar smoke, making them swallow tobacco spit, and eat tobacco. Here are some of such activities that I know about that have been done in the past.

1. The smoker’s conversation. The pledge is given a cigar to smoke. It is a cheap, nasty smelling, harsh cigar. It is a big cigar. Of course, at the same time the pledge has either a dip of Copenhagen or a chaw of Red Man, Beech Nut, Levi Garrett, et cetera in his mouth as well and there is no spittoon available. Pledges learn to swallow tobacco juice early on.

The pledge is forced to stand against the wall while several Brothers interrogate him. They are all also smoking cigars and standing very close to the pledge. He is not allowed to remove the cigar from his mouth but must answer their questions with both his cigar and chewing tobacco in his mouth. As the “conversation” continues the Brothers blow their smoke into his face so that he has a cloud of cigar smoke in his face at all times and, since his mouth is full of tobacco and juice and a cigar that he is smoking as well, he has no choice but to inhale their tobacco smoke. His eyes burn from the smoke, and he coughs. The interrogation continues until he has smoked his cigar completely. When he is down to the stub, he is ordered to put it into his mouth and chew it along with his other tobacco. CAVEAT: Have trash cans available because he may vomit.

2. The closet cigar gig. Each pledge is given a large cheap cigar. The pledges are then put into the pledge closet naked, which is just large enough to cram them in all standing, mashed against each other. A box of matches is furnished and the door locked. The pledges are advised that they cannot come out of the closet until all cigars are smoked and all evidence of cigars, including ash, are completely removed. The closet has been completely scrubbed earlier by the pledges (unknowing fools they were) so that there is absolutely no place to hide a cigar or cigar ash. It doesn’t take long for the implications of the rules sink in on the pledges. They must smoke the cigars and get rid of all the ash and cigar butts somehow. It dawns upon them that they are going to have to eat all the ash and the cigar butts or else stick them up their asses. Then, to make things worse, the speakers start to blare “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” sung by some guy back in the 1920’s, which is totally and completely obnoxious. This will get interesting as the place fills with smoke, and some pledges may get sick from the smoke and throw up, making things more interesting. CAVEAT: Be sure there is enough circulation that enough air is available to breathe. Nobody wants a passed out pledge from hypoxia.

Variation: The pledges can be required to have a horseshoe of Cope in or a huge chaw of Red Man, et cetera during this exercise. When the thing is over punish them for the spit on the floor by making them clean it up with their own toothbrushes. Further variation: Feed them either beer or ice tea before this so they will have to piss.

3. The Tobacco Feast. Combine this with the closet cigar gig if they are pretty well used to gutting tobacco juice, or, if not, just do this. You can use either Copenhagen or Red Man, et cetera, for this. Put them in the closet with a can of Copenhagen each, or a whole pouch of Red Man each, and don’t let them out until it has all been eaten. Do not furnish any trash cans. If they vomit, they do it on each other. Optional variation. Add this to the cigar gig. This will make a lot of them sick, and they will puke. That adds to the exercise because they must get rid of all the puke also. Expect them to fail and punish accordingly. Paddling is a nice punishment.

These are good Hell Week exercises. If during Hell Week, do it toward the end so that they all stink to high heaven (assuming that you have not allowed them to shower or bathe) and if they are also wearing their burlap undies, and covered in molasses and cornflakes and hair clippings, it can be even better as they rub against each other. If you haven’t had the pleasure of wearing burlap with molasses, cornflakes, and hair clippings underneath, you haven’t lived.

WARNING: Always have sober pledge trainers monitoring what is happening with your pledges when you do this stuff and come to the rescue of anybody who flakes out seriously. These exercises are safe but can cause nausea and vomiting in some. They also will cause blood pressure and pulse rates to rise because of the nicotine infusion, and some pledges may panic because of pounding pulses. All that is necessary is reassurance and time. Remove a panicking pledge from the room, reassure and calm him down. If he has chest pain or any sign of true distress, get him help. Call 911. Unless a pledge has an unknown heart problem, this should not happen. You should screen your pledges and have them complete physicals before beginning pledgeship if you are smart. If a pledge has a heart problem, then don’t pledge him or else keep him out of these activities.

These activities have all been done in the past by fraternities, and they are all illegal as hell. I present these because I am a great believer in hazing and the benefits it bestows on the pledges who undergo and survive it. I am aware that hazing is now politically incorrect, and that the folks who want to pussify our society are winning. I know that many will not like this nor me for presenting it. All I can say is that if you don’t want to engage in “real man” activities, that’s fine. But if you, as a fraternity man, see yourself as a real man, a tough-minded, tough-bodied, politically incorrect American, then you will probably like these pledge activities. Your pledges will love them, once they have been through them, if they’re not pussies.

Turkeyleg

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments

Comments are disabled for this post.